Potenad: an Encrypting Notepad
What is Potenad?
Potenad is a basic text editor that uses strong encryption
to obfuscate text files, while being functionally similar to Notepad.
Decryption is controlled by providing the private key. It is available for Windows under a commercial freeware license.
- Strong encryption of the plain text with AES and a 256-bit key
- Allows you to control access by inserting and removing a USB flash disk holding the private key
- Basic text editing functions like Cut/Copy/Paste/Find/Replace/Undo
- A copy of saved files can be automatically sent by E-Mail or uploaded by FTP as a backup
- Potenad can have a program password set, and even encrypts its own settings for each Windows user
- The program only works with encrypted text files, so you cannot accidentally save an unencrypted copy
- Stable, low resource usage and a familiar Notepad-like interface
- Potenad runs on your own computer, and does not use an internet connection unless you configure E-Mail or FTP
- Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 or later
- The .NET Framework 3.5 will be installed during setup if it isn't present.
Since Potenad is intended for storing sensitive information, it is only distributed here to ensure it has not been modified.
Do not download or install it from sources other than this page.
The license does not permit redistribution.
Current version 0.8.5.1, Windows x86 & x64 installer: potenad-0.851.zip
Updated: 30th of August 2015
Copyright © 2015 James Northway